Tempus Realms

Top | News | Realm | Classes | Clans | Mud Stories | Real Life | World | Newbies

Shield Stance
Deneb Posted 25 Mar 2011

It's a skill idea for good aligned knights.

Gen 0 - Level 36 - Mana cost 0 - Activated - Requires wearing a shield

Give yourself a defensive advantage by locking your shield in place and sacrificing your offense. Reduces incoming damage as well as your attack speed and movement speed.

Reduced damage = 20% + 2%*Gen,

and the damage reduced stacks with damage reduction (Nopain, Sanctuary, AC beyond -300) which gives good aligned knights the potential to have the highest damage reduction.

Reduced speed = Effective weapon weight is doubled (attack rounds become less frequent) and maximum number of attacks per round is 2. All types of movement are given an additional 1 second waitstate (north, east, up, flee, retreat, jump south).

Note: No activation or deactivation waitstates. Can only be activated or deactivated while conscious. Once activated, Shield Stance does not deactivate upon being stunned but does upon being put to sleep.

This skill idea is rather game changing. Why do I think that? Because of what it does and it's not a remort skill. Anyway, what do you think?

Red Posted 26 Mar 2011

So if the Knight has 75% base damage reduction without shield stance, they could potentially reach over 100% damage reduction by gen 3?

75% + 20% + 2%(3) = 101%

Sounds like a good idea to promote grouping, but definitely needs tweaking.

The damage reduction should be somehow dependent on the AC-apply of the shield.

Deneb Posted 27 Mar 2011

No, no. It would be calculated after regular damage reduction. (Kind of like how being slime and troll work.) So if you have 75% from spells like Sanctuary and if you're a gen 10 good aligned knight, you'll have a max of 85% damage reduction.

Final Damage Received = damage(.25)(.6),

ie. 100(.25)(.6) = 15 (85% total dam redux)

.25 is from 75% regular damage reduction and .6 is from Shield Stance.

And, it's not just to promote grouping. It great for anti-pk, tanking in general. Well, that's just my perspective.

I was also thinking if the damage reduction doesn't fly, then it could redirect all regular attacks (from rounds) to the shield. So, nothing would hit your body, arm, leg, head, finger, crotch, whatever… just your shield. Oh yeah, that way the damage reduction would depend on the shield's AC-apply.

Tada! What do you think?

Exar Posted 1 Apr 2011

i think i like the idea of a shield stance

the wat i see it, good knights are supposed to be able to soak up the damage, but currently arent very good at it

and good knights seriously need a bone, its been while since i can remember them getting anything

theres currently no reason at all to play a good knight, and thats more than a little messed up

Realm-z is Copyright © 2003-2024. All rights reserved.
Tempus player name: Account Password:

Graphics by GIMP! Powered by Linux! Vote at topmudsites.com
All text and images Copyright © 1995-2024 by TempusMUD / All rights reserved