Tempus Realms

Top | News | Realm | Classes | Clans | Mud Stories | Real Life | World | Newbies

Questing In Tempus.
Trust Posted 1 Sep 2008

I had an idea I wanted to run by the players to see if there was serious interest. Please post if this idea is exciting to you.

The Idea - a real Quest Tavern a) The zone is full of mobs that send players on quests in the world. b) The difficulty of the quests would range from mid Gen 0 to Gen 10. c) I am exploring the idea of chaining quests so that you can progress in different lines. d) There would be a couple monthly updated quest mob/boards.

To go with this

A new quest reward system for quests given by mobs: Signets Questmobs give out signets as part of rewards, you can use these at special vendors for various purposes. a) Buying gold/cash. b) Buying items. (eq theme sets, good equipment) d) Other fun possibilities. e) etc. (don't want to get too far ahead of myself here though.)

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Trust Posted 1 Sep 2008

<– Builder Imm (in case you don't know me).

Caden Posted 2 Sep 2008

Solid quest idea,

Open ended quests are often frowned upon for often lame reasons, however, they hold so much potential..

I tried to do something like that when I had my questor, but not to the level that your talking about.. It would be a awesome feat to pull off. Rockin'.

-c

Deneb Posted 2 Sep 2008

If it's there, I'd definitely use it.

If you would, can you type up a little scenario for one of the quests? I'm having a bit of trouble picturing the whole thing.

Dolza Posted 2 Sep 2008

This sounds fun. Almost like the Dr. in VR who want's the pieces of his personality back. It gives you a fun purpose for running the zone. I'd love to see more things like this in the game. Right now it's hard to earn qps because there aren't always enough folks on for a quest.

I agree with Deneb though, would you maybe outline what you're thinking for the scope of one of these quests? Would the rewards be cash, items, questpoints etc? How often would you be able to do a particular quest?

Tower Posted 2 Sep 2008
 I&#39;ve always liked zone&#39;s with a purpose or storyline way more than ones where the purpose is to kill a certain mob(s) for exp or to get the item they have and then go recall.  Something similar to Cybertech would be cool if it was done on a mudwide level instead of just one zone.  

I like the way that Wish set up the ranger that is near HS to where you can buy a token and then get the ranger guy to walk you to your destination.  That spans zones too, though it is just hardcoded directions.  

Scavenger hunts would be easy to do if you set it up similar how the shop in EPOS works where he requires you to deliver items before you he can "make" the item the shop sells. Though if you just horded the last required item and waited for others to get the first couple you could keep sniping the buying part of the deal since it isn't player-based.

Riffe Posted 2 Sep 2008

It reminds me of WoW and the badge system at the end of Burning Crusade.

I like it because it adds a whole new field of play, new ways to gear up and a decent reason to go plowing through zones that are normally left untouched. Arachnos quest anyone?

R/R

Trust Posted 2 Sep 2008

Here's a few types of the quests I'm looking at right now:

1) Crafting quests (I will look up ways around the problem the EPOS vendor has). 2) Hit/"Assassination" quests, kill a mob and retrieve an item. 3) Gathering quests (as Dolza mentioned an example is the pieces of Dr. Martin Drigokor's mind). 4) I like the the idea of quest chains where you complete a quest get a reward and then are sent to another mob, etc. At the end of the chain you get a special reward. These would have a story-line fitting into the world. (It is possible to make one or more of these chains on a theme. An example being a dangerous beasts chain, magic chain, class chains, etc.) 5) Wits, weasel some info out of a mob, answer 5 questions from the sphinx, etc. 6) Please suggest others you would like.

Keep in mind that these are concepts/generalizations and actual quests will have more depth and be much more fun. Also I hope to have a couple of the quests change every month or so we give people reason to come back.

Rewards: These depend on what the code allows me to give you guys as I'm looking at these quests as not needing an Imm to be there to complete one.

1) Cash and Items are something that can definitely be done. 2) Questpoints are iffy, I need to ask other powers that be, but most likely a no for mob given quests. 3) I was mentioning before about getting tokens with quest completion and then using those to buy various items (this could allow for more flexibility on what you can get and allow the possibility of better rewards for multiple of completed quests) 4) Please suggest rewards! If I don't realize players want something it probably won't be added!

How often you will be able to do each quest is something I need to take a serious look at, I don't want someone to be able to stockpile items for rapid turn in, however I don't want all of them to be one time completion only.

Questions, comments, suggestions?

Shaba Posted 3 Sep 2008

i think it sounds like a good plan, even if i didnt win anything id do it for a change of pace.

-vodka
Riffe Posted 17 Sep 2008

Sounds like a lot of great ideas toward improving the game and questing experience. You should make it a lot better than WoW's system. It really got boring after a while.

Here's a comprehensive video on WoW and their badge/reward/questing system that I found inspiring. Not sure if it'll help, but it's worth a look-see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KS4IbTICoY&feature=related

I realized we shouldn't copy it verbatim, but it's a pretty entertaining system for a short time. I think it has some legit facts and whatnot. Perhaps we can pull ideas and make it even better, catered to the style and code of Tempus, of course.

R/R

Deneb Posted 21 Sep 2008

Rewards that I would want:

QPs, QP-bought items, fun objects, cash, cash, special tattoos, trailers and special skill rewards

QPs: Self-explanatory but unlikely to become a reward

QP-bought items: Also unlikely but I'm hopeful. These include rename/implant tickets, ambrosias, quads and maybe !break orbs.

Fun objects: Could be anything. Equipment with a theme to bombs with personality, much like the one in "Red vs Blue". Personally, I would want throwing objects.

Cash: Who doesn't need cash?

Special tattoos: Let's not forget tattoos. If these quests become class specific like Riffe is hoping for then the tattoos can do things like damage reduction for a knight or damroll for a thief.

Trailers: …he is glowing because he just completed an extremely long quest made by Trust. Of course, it does nothing but spam people more.

Special skill rewards: First of all, don't assume that the skills are powerful but hopefully they are useful. For example, you accept and complete a quest given by a clown and he teaches you the skill 'juggle'. Now you can 'juggle ' where the items are in your inventory and can only be used outside battle. Using 'juggle' will chance upon any battles in the room to cease (in awe of your amazing juggling skills).

I hope you're still working on this Trust. Good luck.

Deneb Posted 21 Sep 2008

Under the juggling bit, it's suppose to be 'juggle item1 item2 item3' as your syntax for the skill but "item1 item2 item3" was cut out due to my use of the greater than less than signs

<><><><><><><

Trust Posted 10 Nov 2008

This project is indeed underway, I'm hoping completion will happen by New Years.

Just a couple of the features of the zone will be: --New mob given quests updated on a regular schedule --A new item crafting system!

Please continue posting ideas for both quests and quest prizes!

I'll give more updates on the upcoming features by Saturday November 15th!

Eternal Posted 10 Nov 2008

I have a feeling it will be to easy for players to abuse. With the player base low like it is. This quest idea will only benefit certain people.

As for mini-quest in zones. I like the over all idea, but I don't think it should involve quest points. Doing certain things for better eq and such makes it fun and interesting. Thats just my opinion on the matter.

Trust Posted 10 Nov 2008

Hi Eternal,

While the quests will be often mob given, they will requrire players to mail a "Questmaster" controlled by an Immortal (likely me) who will process their results and reward them back through the mail within say 24 hours.

This should prevent abuse by farming items and turning in quests by spam. Quests will likely only be accepted once per turn in period, and I am debating about having quests be turned in per account or per character, the difference would be be if people with multiple characters could turn in quests on each character.

The current method I am favoring is allowing multiple characters to turn in the quests but the meat of the reward system -The Signet- (a new "currency" used within the zone and new item creation system) will be branded to each individual character and not usable to other characters. This way a person who plays multiple characters can improve all of them with the system but can't stack all the rewards on one character.

Quest points are 95% likely NOT going to be offered through the new system. There will be very good rewards, especially through the new crafting system but QPs themselves are unlikely to be a part of it.

I hope I addressed your concerns, if anyone has any concerns or ideas please let me know!

-Trust

Deneb Posted 10 Nov 2008

I would gladly think of more ideas but I don't know if they would be used or not so it's difficult to think of ideas if I don't know if I'm even headed in the right direction. Please comment about what was already posted. Thanks.

Trust Posted 10 Nov 2008

I would love to add fun things such as special skills and trailers. It depends on if they would require new coding. I will certainly ask. Ideas most likely to be put into the zone work with existing code.

New tattoos could certainly be added and are a great idea! thanks ;)

I had the idea of upgradable equipment using the quest system, for example creating an item and then as you progress, reforging it into more and more powerful versions.

Deneb Posted 11 Nov 2008

Here's a quick idea for a quest:

It's Ranger only and it's meant to utilize 'spirit track'.

The premise is that you accept a job request (quest) to track down a missing mob. Let's say Maggie took her dog for a walk east of EC and the dog, Max, started chasing a stray LZRD and so Maggie lost Max. Your job is to track down max and charm him and bring him back to Maggie.

Pretty simple and so is the reward. +RAN, ARMOR Worn: Feet, 13-acap, +10 Track, +20 Animal Kin, +15 MAXHIT

More to come for other classes (if you like the general idea)

Deneb Posted 11 Nov 2008

Here's an alternative reward for the ranger-only quest:

Imagine if 'spirit track' was not trainable at the ranger guild but only trainable by completing quests such as Maggie's.

The main concern is if this a good idea for getting remort spells/skills for all the classes. If you want to reply to the general idea of quest-obtained gen spells then please post in 'Quests & Remort Skill/Spells'. If you want to reply to this specific quest idea and its rewards then this thread is fine.

Deneb Posted 11 Nov 2008

Cyborg-only, only for training remort skills, higher the gen the more elaborate and lengthy the mission:

As a cyborg, your mission is obtain through the SUN computer. Certain missions require that you hack into computers in various facilities and retrieve data or simply get an object and report to the SUN computer to receive further details in your mission. For those who have played the game, think 'Metroid Fusion'. More computers can be created to fit stories already currently in the game (the NEO and children at the academy story.)

Eternal Posted 19 Dec 2008

Maybe we should just make it a roll playing mud? I like the ideas for in game quest, and in zone quest but not to learn skills and or spells. Tempusmud was never really a roll playing game, but you can very well do it if you want.

Deneb Posted 3 Jan 2009

We should make Tempus an online English class.

Shaba Posted 3 Jan 2009

lolerz!

Red Posted 13 Aug 2009

Is this idea still underway?

Azkajamalad Posted 25 Aug 2009

What? "Roll Playing Mud Quests?"

Demandred Posted 26 Aug 2009

You roll around on the floor as you play Tempus.

Realm-z is Copyright © 2003-2024. All rights reserved.
Tempus player name: Account Password:

Graphics by GIMP! Powered by Linux! Vote at topmudsites.com
All text and images Copyright © 1995-2024 by TempusMUD / All rights reserved