Tempus Realms

Top | News | Realm | Classes | Clans | Mud Stories | Real Life | World | Newbies

Item durability
Merriam Posted 4 Sep 2012

Currently, item durability (maxdam) decreases by 2% each time it is repaired. This happens no matter the condition of the item at the time it is repair. I recommend that this is changed to only decrease if the item is in a heavily damaged condition.

For example: -perfect - decline repair (already 100%) -excellent - repair, 0% change to maxdam -good - repair, 0% change to maxdam -fair - repair, -0.5% change to maxdam -worn - repair, -1% change to maxdam -shabby - repair, -2% change to maxdam -bad or terrible - repair, -3% change to maxdam

It seems to me realistic that an item would not lose durability if properly maintained.

Tower Posted 4 Sep 2012

Sharpening a sword still takes a tiny bit of metal off the sword. But if the sword has been used to chop granite sheets for a month it will need to have a lot more done to it to repair it and would weaken it's integrity.

Makes sense to me…but maybe have a small amount of damage to even great items (.01%) since you'd still lose that honing a blade.

Merriam Posted 4 Sep 2012

Correction – 2% of the damage done is subtracted from maxdam; not 2% of maxdam subtracted from maxdam. So an item in fair condition might have 485010000 points of durability; new durability is 9903.

With mobs hitting harder, I just think it would make sense that a player could preserve their gear.

Wrath Posted 4 Sep 2012

Sounds reasonable to me. It makes sense that if its just a little worn, just a little repair is needed. If it's about to break, it's going to need more.

With it being such a pain to load good equipment, I of course like the idea of my equipment being destroyed much less often too :p

Merriam Posted 7 Sep 2012

I ran challenging content yesterday (Avernus Level I Baator) that required me to take hard hits, use strategy, weaken my opponents, retreat, heal, use potions to heal and restore mana, and buff up with special scrolls and potions I'd collected. During this run, I had brand new items that reached shabby or worn condition and had to be repaired, sometimes even two or three times while running the zone. Other items had to be repaired at the end of the trip because they had gone from excellent condition to fair or worse, but lasted the entire zone before needing repair.

Is it intended that I would need to repair equipment once per zone clear, so that by the time I had played for perhaps 20 hours, I might need an entirely new set of equipment, since it no longer lasts clearing a zone? Keep in mind that since I ran Avernus with new equipment, equipment that had been used for 20 hours in Avernus would require me to recall and repair six times per hour.

Merriam

Bushido Posted 8 Sep 2012

ok after hearing you go on and on for the last 2 weeks about this here is what I have to offer. A monocle which you so heavily gripe about, is a small piece of glass. No designed to take tons of damage. It is very reasonable that it breaks when you run a zone where you take lots of damage. Fighting 4-10 mobs at a time cause you to get hit as much in one room as some people get hit running 2 or 3 zones.

Avernus for example, you can fight up to 10-15 devils in one room. Devils hit hard, which causes your eq to take a lot of damage very quickly when fissioning a room full of devils. I normally have to repair most of my eq when running any heavily populated part of hell.

Facts are no piece of eq is gonna last forever unless it is !break. Losing eq sucks, especially when you strive so hard for perfect eq such as you do.

Merriam Posted 8 Sep 2012

That's a fair point, but to correct the numbers, except for clearing out the first room, I never fought more than 3 devils at a time. Also, in Dracharnos, I never fight more than one mob at a time. Half my gear needs repairing by the time I leave Dracharnos.

Realm-z is Copyright © 2003-2024. All rights reserved.
Tempus player name: Account Password:

Graphics by GIMP! Powered by Linux! Vote at topmudsites.com
All text and images Copyright © 1995-2024 by TempusMUD / All rights reserved