Tempus Realms

Top | News | Realm | Classes | Clans | Mud Stories | Real Life | World | Newbies

Get room numbers
Nemesis Posted 3 Mar 2014

Is there a way to get a unique room id/number? I can't find anything like that in the help. I'm considering customizing my mud client's automapper to work with Tempus. Room numbers would help a lot with that.

Brywing Posted 4 Mar 2014

There is not currently a way to get room numbers. Room numbers would make exploring easier… mazes obsolete, no way to get lost.

I don't know, we want people to explore but full room numbers I think would make it too easy there's no challenge or excitement, and you can't get lost.

Nemesis Posted 4 Mar 2014

Yeah, I thought there might be a philosophical reason for that, and I get it. The whole point of circularly repeating rooms, rooms with exits that don't go back the way they came, etc. is to add some mystery and challenge to more difficult areas.

I'm pretty sure I can make a mapper work with it. I just have to add custom aliases to adjust links for weird rooms/exits once I figure them out. It would take some careful navigation, of course. I can imagine, in the world of the character, were I recording a map on a piece of paper, that it would be similar in spirit.

Obviously, I'd already given some thought to how to do it without room numbers. I was just being lazy. ;-)

Bushido Posted 5 Mar 2014

Couldn't you just give them generic room names for each zone? Seems like all you would have to do is start the first room of the zone as room 1 and go so on and so on.

Nemesis Posted 5 Mar 2014

Yeah, I can (and will) number them sequentially. And I can use the 'where' command to get the area. That's not the problem. Some rooms have the exact same name and description. That's not a huge deal either, except that some areas don't have normal rooms & exits. For example, the Caves of Learander have some rooms where there's no exit back to the way you came. There's another place (forget which) that have circular repeating rooms, that is, if you keep going one direction (say, north), one of the rooms sends you back to the beginning, and you just keep going through the same series of rooms.

My solution (so far) is to add a manual mapper command to indicate when one room is the same as an existing one. Then it combines them and updates the exit links. The room/exit links are one-way (aka "directed acyclic graph"), so it can easily accommodate rooms with these irregular exits. I just have to tell it when it happens.

Realm-z is Copyright © 2003-2024. All rights reserved.
Tempus player name: Account Password:

Graphics by GIMP! Powered by Linux! Vote at topmudsites.com
All text and images Copyright © 1995-2024 by TempusMUD / All rights reserved